1/19/2011

Constrained by the Spirit

So, yesterday Johnathan, Troy, and I went out on campus to share the gospel. It was the first time in a couple of months that I had done this, and it was a lot of fun. For the first five or ten minutes I was just walking around the student union and trying to hear from the Holy Spirit. There have been times where I would go out and talk to the first person that passed by. I don't think there is anything wrong with this, but I was trying to be real intentional with my time out there and listen to the Holy Spirit. I reminded of Acts 16:6 which talks about the Holy Spirit forbidding the disciples to speak the word in Asia. This tells me that if you hear from Him he will tell you who to talk to, but also who to leave alone. Anyways, it was pretty fruitful. I met some great people and had two conversations with two groups of two people for about thirty minutes each. No one committed to Christ right there, but seeds were planted and maybe brothers and sisters were encouraged. His word does not return void.

This morning I find myself fascinated with Acts 20:22

And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there.

I don't know what the original Greek for constrained is here, but if the ESV is anything close to the translation that's what I want. Lord, I pray that you would take my life and constrain me by the spirit. Control me with the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge. I want the type of obedience that is not begrudging, but full of joy in knowing that the Holy Spirit of God controls and constrains me in every action I take. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Hey bro...do a word study on "constrain" and put it in the comments section here...or revise the post. It's a pretty powerful word and bears some additional thinking on it.

    ReplyDelete